Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Another fever


Carter woke up yesterday with a fever.  He wouldn't even get out of bed, he just cried and yelled for me until I came and got him.  He was feeling miserable.  I called the hospital to tell them we were coming in and they said to pack an overnight bag just in case since last week his ANC was only 600.  If it was below 500 now, he would be admitted.  I gave him some oxicodone for his headache and by the time we got to the hospital he was feeling much better.   His fever was gone, of course.  We got his counts and his ANC was 9200!  It could be because he just finished 5 days of steroids or it could be because his body is trying to fight off something or it could be a combination of the two.  So when the doctor checked him out, everything was fine and normal except his heart rate was too high.  That could be another sign of infection.  He put him on IV fluids for almost two hours as well as gave him an antibiotic.  His heart rate came down a little but still not normal.  They told me the dose of antibiotics would start wearing off at about 10:00 this morning so just watch him closely for another fever or any other signs of illness.  So far today he's been totally fine.  I hope he's over the worst of it.  I'm worried because his little brother has been pretty sick for about 5 days, fever on and off.  I hope Carter won't go through the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment