Friday, January 3, 2014

another new hospital

First off, it's great to be back at a USA hospital!  Carter had his first appointment at our newest hospital yesterday.  Everything went great!  Our new doctor even knows our old doctor in Portland!  Everyone was so nice and helpful.  A social worker (who I've emailed with several times getting things set up before our arrival) took me all over the hospital showing me where everything is.  It was a very good experience.

Heading in for his appointment



We met lots of new people.  Doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners, social workers, insurance facilitators, etc.  Everyone was so nice and welcoming.  Carter did and great job, of course.  


Thumbs up


This was his second to last lumbar puncture!  He was excited about getting the "sleepy medicine" again.  It all went very smooth.  I even got a printout of his blood counts!  I haven't had one of those for almost a year.  Ah, it's good to be back.

It has officially been over three years since Carter was diagnosed with leukemia.  Wow.  He only has just over three months left of chemotherapy!  It's been a long and crazy three years with a lot of ups and downs.  We have all learned a lot.  I am so overwhelmed with gratitude as I look back over these years.  It's been very hard but we've had the most amazing experiences along the way.  And to see how much Carter has grown through it all is just awesome.  The social worker at the hospital made a comment on how engaging he is.  He is very good at meeting new people and having conversations with adults.  He is incredibly optimistic.  He has a way of finding the good in every situation he is in.  It seems that the harder it is, the more easily he finds something to be happy about.  He is an amazing kid.  As a parent, it's been heart-wrenching to watch my oldest son go through something so difficult.  But he has inspired me and taught me so much about life and what's really important.  I am so lucky.



1 comment:

  1. You guys are awesome. So great that Carter is SUCH a champ! And his mom is too! Where are you guys going to be in the US? Know yet?

    ReplyDelete